9 benefits of secure remote access without VPN
The pandemic has caused many companies to change their way of working almost overnight, in order for their employees to continue their work routine at home.
To build out an infrastructure that supports remote work, many organizations have chosen to use a VPN (virtual private network), which allows their machines to access the corporate server remotely, and in a secure manner.
Table of Contents
But the use of VPNs requires attention to certain specifics, which, if not observed, can be crucial to operational success
BYOD vulnerability: Based on the BYOD concept, employees use their own device to connect to the company’s network. Unfortunately, they often overlook implementing the security precautions necessary in doing so — not updating their applications, or visiting vulnerable websites, or having machines infected with malware, etc. So, once the VPN is set up, this compromised device can infect the entire corporate network. For this reason, it is advisable to connect via corporate devices, which are subject to a security policy and managed by the IT team. Compromised devices can infect the entire company network and all the assets contained therein.
Overload, slow performance and high latency: A large number of employees connected simultaneously overloads the VPN gateway, causing performance drop, activity interruptions and delivery delays.
Difficulty in adapting: When there is an unexpected increase in employees working remotely and connecting via VPN, companies need to appropriately modify the infrastructure to accommodate the number of connections. This adaptation involves purchasing, deploying and configuring additional VPN gateways. In addition to being expensive, it takes time and is complex to execute properly.
Usage problems: The VPN requires several steps and the memorization of several logins for different applications, making it difficult for employees to implement its use efficiently.
Complexity in maintenance: VPNs require an additional application for remote control; this, in turn, makes maintaining the company complex, as well as adding a potential layer of difficulty in connecting each employee.
There is software, such as VaultOne, that provides remote access securely, and without the need for deploying a VPN. Discover 9 benefits of using them as an alternative to the VPN model:
- VaultOne allows you to access servers through any computer as well as through all iOS or Android mobile devices, safely supporting the BYOD trend.
- Our ease of configuration and implementation facilitates quick adaptation to the home-office model, and all without presenting problems of performance or connectivity.
- The softwareuses encryption and a two-factor authentication system, enabling a secure remote connection.
- VaultOne enables employees to only access sections of the network containing the resources they need for their work, instead of accessing the entire network, thereby eliminating the risk exposure of other company assets.
- If there is a sudden increase in employees who require working remotely, scaling up is quick and easy, unlike using a VPN.
- We provide help and customer support features on our platform.
- Integration with Active Directory or Single Sign-On, allowing the user to connect with a single password. This is the master password, easier to use and memorize.
- The perfect option for long-distance work. Our software does not overload the network orcompromise performance, all while letting you use your personal or company device.
- VaultOne has session recording and reporting capabilities for any audit and compliance needs.
VaultOne allows you to completely control your security. You can give a user access through VaultOne for a specific part of your business, and without them actually seeing a password. With VaultOne, you can be sure that your intellectual property is in good hands.
Talk to our experts today and see how we can help your business.
Subscribe to our blog